Wednesday, April 07, 2010

March Highlights from school

March was a good month for us. It was a bit slow due to our trip on the cruise. But overall, I think we accomplished a good amount and had fun together! Our walk through the gospels using the Resurrection eggs was definitely the best. Here are some other fun projects we enjoyed:




J and I began reading the Harry Potter series in January. Just last week we finished the last book. We REALLY enjoyed the symbolism, excitement, and remarkable writing in the books. This reading was a very big undertaking, but also a very rewarding time academically for us!


The boys focused on castles in drawing. This one turned out nicely, I think.



We dyed Easter eggs together for the first time. Brought back memories!



The weather allowed us to go on our first picnics of the year.


We made our first salt dough model. We are studying astronomy and created crater-filled Mercury with marbles, pebbles, and pencils.

We made these beautiful cross mosaics from painted egg shells. The result is my favorite art project ever with the kids!




We made St. Patrick's day pipe cleaner shamrocks. Got the idea from here.



We read Viking stories...

and made masks .

Our artist study this month was of Picasso. (This is my 7 year old's self portrait, cut up and reconfigured to look like a Picasso. I love it! His drawing skills have progressed so much this school year.) We got the idea from this book.


I am so excited to be past winter and into spring! Before we know it another school year will be over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Renee!

Finally it looks like I'll be allowed to post a comment. My page kept going down. Grrr.

I don't know, one day I just had words again. And time! So yes I'm back for now. It's amazing what a year will do. I'm in a totally different place now, with some of those goals accomplished, some fears extinguished. But - here we are, ready to rev all the homeschool thinking back up again!!!

For the moment, however, I'm enjoying a lovely relaxing quiet spring break. It's killing my 8 year old, ha ha! But I figure I'm not going to feel guilty about a staycation: we stay way busy enough in "reality" to justify a little laziness. :)

I've kept up with your blog pretty much, just lurking. :) I have an iphone, which it makes it easy to read on-the-go but not as easy to comment.

Your pictures are so cute. Hope y'all are also enjoying a nice week with this gorgeous weather! See ya around cyberspace. :)