Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fact or fiction?

Our field trip today involved an entire morning of evolutionary propaganda at the new science museum. We actually had to walk out of the "station" where we viewed a movie. The movie began right on cue with the big bang theory. Except it was presented as fact and not theory. And, of course, no other theories were represented. When we went out into the lobby and sat down to talk about what they had heard, my Jaybird asked, "Momma? What's wrong with this place? Why don't you speak up and tell the man about God? Maybe he doesn't know!" And maybe I should have. But I bit my lip.
We also rebelled in the "station" where we were to spend 25 minutes in THE MUSEUM GIFT SHOP. Seriously. Well...we didn't buy a thing. We almost did, and then when I explained to the kids that we didn't want to support the museum and their one-sided theories, they jumped on board with no problems. In fact, my Toot said, "Don't buy their stuff. It's all lies!" And that made me laugh. He has a flare for the dramatic statements (I have no idea why?!). And we certainly did not hear all lies. But, by this point in the morning, there was a whole lot of truth in his statement for a person that claims the Bible as absolute truth as we do.
We did, however, have fun in the fossil digging area. What a fun idea! And after a pizza lunch, we came back and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the museum. I should have known better than to schedule a tour of the fossil gallery. I can be so naive. But I honestly am thankful for the conversation our interesting field trip produced. I whole-heartedly want my children to learn about every viewpoint and religion that I can expose them to. But, I also know that I need to keep in mind their age, vulnerability, and maturity. I was very grateful today that I had the authority and influence to be able to pull them aside and converse with them over what we know to be truth. Sweet words were exchanged..."What do we know is true? Mommy can not tell you even a small fraction of what this world is made of. But what do I know for sure? God's word is truth. Let's start there..." In those moments together, I would rather be doing NOTHING else on earth!

1 comment:

Tiff said...

You're a good mama. I can be really naive and my eldest would certainly have sided with Toot! I'm glad the Lord used it as a good opportunity...