Saturday, March 21, 2009

A room with a view

We spent the entire day outside. First, at a work day at church. And after lunch, we came home and enjoyed the rest of the day (until dinner time) in our own yard. We had the ugliest juniper bushes in front of our house. They were so big that we had to use the jeep to pull them out of the ground! They were replaced by smaller, more fragrant Camellia and Gardenia bushes. I can not wait until fall to see them bloom! We also added flowers here and there- under the window, in planters, and around the mailbox. These extra touches of beauty are so exciting for me! I love the color by the front door and driveway (and out the window) where we can enjoy them all day long! If we have another frost, I will be the weirdo with sheets over my flowers. I used to tease my Mom for planting early and pulling out the sheets. And now look who's talking! (It's worth it for vibrant color after a long, grey winter!)
As I was gardening today, I thought about what I recently read in Edith Schaeffer's book The Hidden Art of Homemaking. She says, "A Christian, who realizes he has been made in the image of the Creator and is therefore meant to be creative on a finite level, should certainly have more understanding of his responsibility to treat God's creation with sensitivity, and should develop his talents to do something to beautify his little spot on the world's surface." Her words are more poignant and beautiful within the context of the book. But either way, I agree. And I found my time outside much more fulfilling with the book's inspiration at the forefront of my mind. I have a gardening "to-do list" for this week. I hope the perfect weather continues- sunny, mid 60s!
*Pictured above: our bedroom window

1 comment:

Alicia K said...

Great seeing you at church today! I am reading that exact same book! When I downloaded the free Lapbook that goes with it I had intended to get the book this summer but, I could not wait. I am patiently waiting until April to begin the gardening process but, it is sooo hard. And, now my girls are just as excited as me and it makes it even harder to wait.