Thursday, March 12, 2009

Registering decisions

It's school registration time. Time to evaluate and pray. For a day or two I considered bailing out of this crazy way of life called home schooling. But after just a little prayer, God has made it quite clear that we are on the path He wants for our family right now.

I have been reminded of a few things during this process:
-When we walk with Christ, big decisions can not be based on comfort level. The priority has to be His glory- listening and following.
-On that note, reason is only one tool for seeking answers. I think reason and feelings are a good starting point- but we miss out on so much if we stop there. God's will for us can appear irrational.
-Things are not always black and white. I want them to be, though. Next year the boys will not go back to a private school education. But, they will take enrichment classes for a day and a half a week. I have found a "creative classical" enrichment program that uses the exact philosophy and most of the same curriculum that I have chosen. They will engage the children in hands-on, creative exercises and then send home assignments for me to enjoy with the children for the rest of the week. Lydie will continue with Mother's Morning Out 2 days a week. I am very excited!
-He never gives us more than we can handle. When we feel like we physically or emotionally can not go on- he provides as we seek Him. It helps to press on, evaluate, and seek Him over and over again.
-My children are not my own. I am not my own. Sometimes serving God is extremely difficult. But the rewards are magnificent.
"When you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. So, what advantage did you then get from the things of which you now are ashamed? The end of those things is death. But now that you have been freed from sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is sanctification. The end is eternal life."
Romans 6:20-22
So, here's to another year!

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Just browsing your blog as I drink my mid-morning tea. I always go thru the same tug o'war in the spring. This time, I'm distracted so I haven't felt the pull. But I feel sure I will and we'll unhash every option, every pro and every con. Then we'll have to deal with the fears underlying those matters. Then we'll sigh and come to the same conclusion we did last year. For now, the boys at home-- all together.

Wendy said...

So many of the same feelings about the upcoming year. We reevaluate every year and I think next year will look a like yours w/a little enrichment into our week.

Hope you have a great rest of the year and a wonderful year next year!