Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Our reading list for the week

We read at our house, we read a lot. Not because I am a genius parent or because I am trying to create a genius child. But mainly because my oldest son loves to read more than anyone on the planet. So I thought that each week I might post our 5 or so favorite reads from the week. If you happen to be going to the library or want to purchase a book for your home collection and you need a suggestion, I am sure we will always have plenty of them. Happy reading!

1.Doctor DeSoto Goes to Africa by William Steig

This is the cutest book about a little mouse dentist that goes to Africa to help an ailing elephant. The advanced vocabulary in the book is beautifully woven into a simple plot.

2.Little Bear's Visit by Else Holmelund Minarik

I absolutely love the Little Bear collection. We bought two or three of these books at a consignment sale for our home library. I hope to find the rest soon. If your child is 6 or older he can read these books to you! Sweet, easy lessons from the sweetest little family in the woods!

3.The Secret Birthday Message by Eric Carle

I thought I knew about every Eric Carle book until we found this one. It is so cute and simple. The art is fun and rich, like all of his books. And there is an underlying theme of puzzles and shapes in the book. My six and four year old were equally amused.

4.Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
We checked out practically the entire series this trip to the library. This series involves Nate, an elementary aged boy, who solves all of the neighborhood mysteries. (the missing cat, the coded letter, etc.) It's great fun to tag along with Nate and put on our detective hats. Every little boy loves a little mysterious adventure!

5.The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann HobermanThis book is hands down my favorite picture book in the library! Poor Mrs. Peterman goes from patient to frazzled as she has one, two, three...seven picky eaters. It is a rhyming book with the most adorable pictures and plot. It ends with the children baking their Mommy a birthday cake and slicing it up on a picnic table outside of their little, quaint lake house. Somehow, my entire family can relate to a character or two in this book. We used to own the book, but the pages were turned so much that the spine wore out and the pages fell out of the book. A must read!

4 comments:

MorningSong said...

What a great idea! I love this!! My kids are toddler/preschooler and so it would be great to have these in mind as they grow into them! Thanks for doing this! Looking forward to future books you add.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Thanks for sharing those books, My oldest is a reader too and I'm always looking for good new books to check out!! Thanks!!

Kate said...

we love the nate the great books too!

Amydeanne said...

some interesting books! My kids love to read too!