Monday, February 08, 2010

Fish out of water

Sometimes I feel completely out of place. My husband and I seem to have different views than many of those we find ourselves surrounded by. We think differently when it comes to how to raise our children, how to spend our time, the emphasis (or lack thereof) we place on money and worldly success-our worldview in general. I am not saying that we are right and others are wrong. Some (not all) of these areas are gray and up to personal conviction. The problem is not that I am judging, or really even feeling judged. I just often feel misunderstood. The obvious differences in philosophy can leave me feeling a little lonely sometimes- even when I am surrounded by people in our church. I felt that way last night at a Super Bowl party we attended, even though the people and environment were welcoming. It's a difficult and frustrating emotion to explain, and I do not like it. I do not consider us radical by any means. But God seems to be asking us to do a number of extraordinary things (home school, move, etc.). I think following our convictions will be a lonely place for our family at times.

On the other hand, I did have some meaningful, fulfilling time as well this weekend. Our Sunday worship service was wonderful and so refreshing. The words, music, fellowship were healing. And I also had half a day alone on Saturday to regroup. Below are the things I worked on. Along with these fun little creations, I spent two hours alternately reading and falling asleep on the sofa. Feels so amazing to have time to relax!

~Made Edie's Mocha Chocolate cake. It was divine! In fact, I had so much fun that I stayed in the kitchen for three hours baking, dancing to music, and enjoying myself.





~Made a Valentine shirt for Lydie.









~Made a Valentine wreath. I saw this idea on a blog. I wish I could remember where to give someone credit. It cost me less than $5.


::$1 foam wreath


::$3.50 white boa on sale


::free- ribbon, glue, and heart from my stash


More Valentine crafts to come! What a great way to start a week that is filled with so much to do!

5 comments:

Tiff said...

Totally know.

{edie} said...

Renee,
We find ourselves in the same quandary. I think that's what has made blogging such an oasis for me. I love that you made the mocha cake---I think yours looks better than mine! Great job and thanks for sharing. I'd love to have a big chunk of that today!
hugs,
edie

Jackie said...

I feel this way about how we are bringing up our kids in regard to dating. Dating is serious marriage business. I guess that is why the Lord says that we go down a narrow road as opposed to a wide road.

June Bostick said...

Could it be that you are just not seeing that others have different spiritual gifts? It is so easy to think everyone should be just like we are in our relationship to the Master.

We did not homeschool but our daughters and sons felt excluded from the world. I did not join with others in our church who allowed their daughters to dress in a provocative manner and I could not have seen God work in their lives with out my praying sisters at Moms in Touch.
Yes, we might be hated for Christ's sake. More and more...continue to be an "overcomer" see Rev.2&3.

Anonymous said...

Renee,

Your posts always cause me to think - which is a good thing! I understand how you feel. My girls go to public school... I often feel we don't fit in - my 8th grader is still very innocent and naive. She is also very quiet. I guess no matter the age - it can be difficult. Sadly - we left a church where we didn't feel connected...and have yet to join a new one.


This post surprised me a little, but as always thank you for sharing from the heart!