Saturday, August 15, 2009

A new combination

Andy took Jaybird camping with his two best buddies last night. Their dads were gracious enough to come along, too. So that left Toot and Lydie bug here with me over night. Normally when we are apart, the boys are with Andy and Lydie is with me. Or, we are spending one-on-one time with a child just for an evening. But I can not recall ever having #2 and #3 overnight alone. I noticed some interesting things about this new combination.

First of all, these two are polar opposites. And right now opposites are not attracting. (It doesn't help that we have been home swapping viruses for 7 days in a row!)He likes quiet, she LOVES to talk. He has a high pain tolerance and rarely complains, she is a whiner (or just 2 years old, time will tell). He loves to explore, she doesn't take risks. He loves to build, she only likes to build relationships. Even though we ultimately enjoyed our night together, I found many new opportunities for...character training. I wonder how wealthy I would be if I had a dollar for every time I said, "Stop and think about your choice right now. Are you choosing to be selfish or put your brother/sister ahead of yourself? Let's love well." And also, "Lydie, stop and decide if you want to be a whiner or a solver. A solver talks calmly and fixes a problem. A whiner has to go and be by herself. No one likes to listen to a whiner." This character building work is hard and tedious and slow. I am a little weary. But not enough to give up or lower my standards. I want to do everything in my power to help them reap the benefits of self-control and obedience. "Honor your father and mother that it will go well with you and that you may have long life on earth." (Ephesians 6:2-3) A clear conscience and an enjoyable life are worth fighting for! As for their hearts, I pray more and more every day that they will grab hold of the gift of salvation and be captivated by His love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renee, I always learn so much from you just listening to you speak, or in this case, reading what you say. I already used some of your "repetitive" phrases tonight. Wish I could be around you more to learn more! Love you,
Rebecca