Friday, May 29, 2009

Our new playroom

I posted about the boys helping me paint the other day. With their help, we primed and painted the room in two days. Then I moved the furniture and they helped to organize their toys. Doesn't it feel great to go through the toys and purge? We still need to spray paint the little table and chair (white) and put something on the big blank wall, but we are basically done.
This room is normally our dining room. It attaches to our family room and kitchen. So I wanted it to be neutral and simple. My Toot asked for a big mural on the wall. He loves our school room that is very bright. But for this room...I don't think so!

Before: After: This is the main wall seen from the family roomI made some inexpensive art for the wall. All three pieces cost $27. The canvases are 16x20. They were painted black. I enlarged some black and white photos and adhered with Mod Podge. Then I hot glued embellishments. I am pleased with the way it turned out.

Another view. The light from the chandelier produces a glare on the art work, but still, I had to remove the shades for more light. This room only has one window. Plus, I love the look of a chandelier without shades.
The big blank wall. Haven't decided what to do with it. See the red and green table and chair that need the white spray paint?
This room has already been worth the trouble. The kids have played with their toys more than ever. And, clean up is so much easier...no dragging toys up and down the stairs!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

LOVE!! it! I especially love the idea w/the canvases!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

AWESOME!! You have once again inspired me! I am now trying to figure out how to re-do our loft to be much more of a kid-friendly playroom...thanks for all your beautiful ideas! :)

Anonymous said...

I have really missed having a playroom. It not only motivates them to play with their toys more, it also keeps the bedrooms neater!
When we had Jack and began homeschooling, we lost both extra bedroom AND dining room! No basement here. (If I had known we would be living here so long I probably would have bought the other house with the basement!)

But now that Jack is older, it's easier to contain the clutter with baskets and such. He's also better about playing upstairs or outside (without me) now. Thankfully, he's a good little cleaner-upper,and the girls do a lot of their school work upstairs, so... it's been kinda like childbirth. You forget about the pain after they grow up a bit. :)

There's that silver lining. :)

Love the pictures! It all looks terrific.