Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reluctantly releasing control

It was so tempting to send the boys off with a movie or to the backyard. But I knew they were capable of helping me. And I am trying really hard to allow them to help me when they are able. So we all picked up paintbrushes together. We are transforming our dining room into a play room. I am giving up my "pretty room" (which was mostly untouched by little hands) and surrendering to the need for a playroom. Our school room downstairs will be solely for school, now. I just felt like I couldn't stand one more day of tripping over toys in the family room.

I can't describe how difficult is was for me to involve the boys in this project. Painting is hard and messy. And two energetic boys seemed like, well, a nuisance! But I began to think about how this could be a good activity for them. They could learn appreciation, dedication, and persistence. And, if I am committed to this home schooling gig, I know I need to take the time to patiently train them to do all the things around the house that I do. So, I bit the bullet, and asked them to join me.

I have never been so proud of a paint job. After a little practice, they were actually helpful (as opposed to just making extra messes!). And I began to wonder how many things they can really do/take responsibility for that I miss because I just want it done...now. I think if I have learned anything this year about parenting it is that the really good moments take sacrifice and patience. I need to pray for more and more each day!





"Patience is the companion of wisdom."
St. Augustine

3 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW!!! GOOD FOR YOU!! :) That's an amazing release of control right there!

I am so blessed by your words and insight today. I want to someday be able to do the same with my boys...and like you said, I need to be ready knowing that it does take sacrifice.

Way to go! :) Can; wait to see the final work!

RHB said...

What a great post. Sounds scary to involve little ones in painting but I am sure you are right- they probably learned a lot and made great memories! You are my inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I was just having this same conversation with my brother recently, regarding how much more work it is FOR US to include the boys in our work. Well, mostly we were discussing the "daddy" side of things, since they are boys. :) But I know what you mean.

Now that the girls are 14 and 12, however, I definitely see the benefits of training. I often wonder what I would do if I had to do all those chores all by myself!

Good job, everyone!