Wednesday, May 06, 2009

An early summer reading challenge

Maybe it's because of the constant barage of rain and thunder, or maybe just the illnesses lately, but for one reason or another we are excited about the summer. In fact, the boys have read through their book lists for the school year, so yesterday we started "The Great Reading Challenge". (We have a dramatic flair for titles.) I thought I would share our idea in case some one else is thinking ahead as well.




First, I chose 100 books for each of the boys. I will share the titles in the next post. Some good sources for collecting a list are Heidi's blog, the Veritas Press lists, the Sonlight suggestions, and ambleside. I recommend reading books on the level of the grade they just completed. My boys can read a year ahead of grade level, but I want their summer reading to be fun and not too difficult. I put my list in order from the shortest to the longest books. This was the most time consuming task of all. Then I made a display (which doesn't have to be this elaborate, I was just desperate for an art project.) I would suggest displaying the list in a place where the kids will see it so they don't forget to read. Next, I went to the library and checked out the first 25 books on each list. Then I made up the rules:

1. When the kids have read 25 books they get a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese's with a friend.

2. Each book over 150 pages counts for 2 points. (I didn't choose any books over 200 pages.)

3. When the kids have read 50 books they get a trip to play mini-golf.

4. When the kids have read 75 books they get to rent a new Wii game for game night.

5. When the kids have read 100 books they get a trip to a local amusement park.

6. For every 25 after that I will continue to reward fun field trips.


My boys read 7 books (total) the first day! And I was inspired to challenge myself as well. I hope to read 1 book a week this summer. We are so excited! Happy reading!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You amaze me, Renee! I can't believe the cool, elaborate things you come up with! I've just started writing down the books my boys read on their book list this year, but I think they would get a kick out of the whole books to read/reward thing. :)

Wendy said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing this!