Monday, April 20, 2009

Survival mode

Family and friends,
Please pray for us! I wrote of a few of our struggles recently with the car accident and other trials. This weekend, Andy called while I was at a ballet performance for a teenager at church, to tell me he had hurt his back and couldn't move. On Sunday I had to call an ambulance to come and get him. The pain was very bad and he couldn't bear any weight on his legs, nor even his knees to crawl. So I had no way of transporting him to get the medical attention he needed. They admitted him last night to the hospital. As I was leaving to come home for the night, a tornado passed through just over our house. Sweet Mimi had to take the sleeping children in the basement. Praise God the weather did not damage our house. And I am thankful that I made it home just fine, but soaking wet!

I am now doing a few things for the children, and then back to the hospital. They will run an MRI later today and hopefully we will get some answers. I am afraid Andy will be out of work all week. Poor guy, this week his employer had paid for a week-long class out of town. A world-renown botanist was teaching outdoors a very special, once-in-a-lifetime series. According to Andy, the scientist, it was very exciting. I hate that he is having to miss. I am thankful for quiet time by his hospital bed to just look at him and talk alone. It's nice to see him out of pain, as they are giving him a variety of medications. And, it's nice to be able to show him how much I love him by smothering him with help and attention.

We are so thankful to Liz and her family for coming to get the kids and bringing them home last night. And we are so thankful to our zealous, loving Mimi for scooting across state lines to take over for Liz and spend the night(s). It's such a blessing to be loved by friends and family. Having said that, please pray for a season of health and calm for us. The last month has been crazy. And I am finding myself looking slowly and cautiously around each new corner...a little nervous about tomorrow.

9 comments:

Alicia K said...

Renee ~ I was praying for you all last night when we pulled up the weather map and I realized that the tornado was passing so close to y'all. I will continue to pray today that answers are found for Andy's back problems. I am so glad to hear he is no longer in pain and that you are able to spend time with him in the hospital. Let us know if you need anything!

Tiff said...

I will be praying for you so much! I know how hard that is (from Jad's previous surgery) and I will specifically pray that the Lord will guard your children, physically and emotionally. Try to get some rest yourself, so you can better care for others...

Love you!

Abby Hutto said...

Renee! We will definitely be praying for all of you, especially for Andy's health. Please let him know that he is in our prayers.

Bec said...

Prayers for Andy....I'm so sorry about his back and hope he's better quickly. How great that you are looking at this as an opportunity to minister to your family. You are blessed, and so are they! :)
Becca Patton Rollins

Luke Holzmann said...

Lord, I ask that You will give strength and comfort during this difficult time. Heal Andy and give the doctors wisdom as they work with him. Continue to surround the whole family with love and support. Amen.

~Luke

RHB said...

Wow, sounds like lots of challenges lately. Praying for you and your family- that His grace would continue to sustain you. Love you!

Just My Thoughts said...

Wow, that is a lot to deal with, Renee! Keep leaning on the Lord, who has everything in His very capable hands! I'm praying for you. Wish I could help, too, but it looks like you have a wonderful support system. What a blessing!

Jennifer said...

Oh Renee, I am praying for you and your family.

Thank you so much for the curriculum tips... My Father's World looked great!

Grace and Peace to you!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW!!

When it rains, it pours! I'll be praying for all of you...especially Andy. Please keep us posted.

Please make sure you're taking good care of yourself in the midst of it all...don't forget to be still. I know that's MUCH easier said than done though.