Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The game plan

There is no denying that times have been tough since January around here as Andy had to find a new job. Financially, emotionally, and spritually we are tired. There is a slight feeling of being behind the ball every day as a parent. But lately, we just can't catch up financially or any other way, it seems. In fact, we keep getting farther behind. It leaves me with a feeling of defeat.

Last night I stayed up for several hours alone with the Lord. I don't really care to have the "Why?" questions answered. I just want direction. What do we do now? How do we make this better? I went to bed with not a shred of insight, but a peace in knowing that I had spent time with the Lord in an effort to listen and obey.

This morning I woke up and met the Lord with some time in His word. I am (slowly) reading the Bible from cover to cover- today was the day to start Job. I was not excited. Could you even imagine his circumstances? I left for the dentist office, only to find myself in another frustrating circumstance. More dental work, more bills, more doubting other people's honesty. I called my husband ready to give up. I'm tired of it all. In that moment, I was ready to send the kids to school and find a (paying) job.

Now I can see that this is all spiritual warfare. And suddenly, I am determined to fight. As I read in the book of Job, what do we have left on this earth to cherish if not our salvation and the deep Joy of walking in obedience to Christ?

Here's my game plan:
~We will continue to tithe 10% no matter how many unforseen circumstances happen that are costly. We owe Him everything- this is the very least we can do.
~I will continue to stay at home and raise my own children. I am completely convicted that this is my calling.
~I will continue to cut coupons, help with the garden, cook deer meat more often (ugg), and buy clothing and household items second hand.
~I will be a strong voice for our family when it comes to medical and dental procedures. I would be stupid not to look at past situations and see where we have been taken advantage.
~I will pray and stay in His word. The children, my husband, family and friends need someone who is living in the Spirit, bearing His fruit, which cannot be found living independently. And above all, He should be glorified.
~I will pray for opportunities to serve and encourage others. Other people are hurting financially, and in other ways, much more.
~I will make sure my family is getting a healthy diet, taking care of their bodies, and getting plenty of exercise. An ounce of prevention...
~I will support my husband in his work, as well as in the decisions he makes for our family- even if they make life more challenging for me. We are all going to have to put on our big girl panties.
~I will arrange for us to sell all the things that we do not need, as well as look for opportunities to help us find financial freedom again. Every little penny helps.
~I will purposefully strive to have a grateful heart when I am tempted to have an angry or sinful heart.


I am absolutely incapable of doing all of these things alone. The Lord will have to work through me in order for me to accomplish any of these objectives. We will venture forward in faith that He goes with us, before us, and in us. Through Christ, all things are possible. (Not a million earthly licks in this boxing match called life could convince me otherwise!)

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My Stronghold, my Saviour, I will not be afraid at all...My Stronghold, my Saviour, I will not be moved!"

Thanks for being the anchor when I'm not...my helpmate, my soulmate, oh love of my life. I thank God for you daily. -AW

Anonymous said...

Renee-

How strange that I have been thinking of you SO MUCH lately. I am proud of you, girl! What strength and determination you are showing. What a great and rich example to your kids you are!

Let's get together sooner, rather than later- though I know schedules are a little different, perhaps it can be done!!!

Maryanne Helms

Abby Hutto said...

Oh, how encouraging! I've been feeling the Savior's call to trust in Him more and in our feeble finances less. I need encouragement to "cut the fat" of my spending (my idol) and support my husband in our goals of financial freedom. I am very convicted and encouraged by your plan, and will prayerfully consider them as I make my own plan too! Thanks, Renee!!!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

You have been on my heart, sweet friend!

Man! Although you've been through a lot... A LOT, you are still coming to God. THAT is all that He asks of you.

You have no idea how your strength shines through you at your weakest. Your strength being your trust in our faithful God.

Wish I had words to encourage you...everything seems to not be quiet right. I am so sorry.

I'll continue to lift you up to Him, Who is able to shelter you in His mighty and gentle wings. May He restore you and allow you then to be able to soar once more.

Sending my love and hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I knew about Andy's job change...
and it's funny that I read this tonight because we are thinking along similar lines right now. I have days that are up, days that are down. I'm having to make changes and let things go, praying that God will take care of what I cannot.

I am also reading through the Bible, but I'm using a Chronological Bible. I've been reading about the kings, and the other night I read this prayer again:
"And now, O Lord, we do not know what to do, but our eyes look to You." There are times when I'm breathing that prayer...

As David said in amazement, after listing the great and mighty things God had promised, "and this is a small thing to You..."
These things which loom over us are "small things" to Him, just tools that He uses to shape our souls, I guess.

I'm glad I stopped by tonight - maybe we can encourage one another on!

I hope the fog lifts for you soon and sunny weather blows in. :)

Love,
Jen