Monday, December 24, 2007

The spirit of Christmas

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law's house

We just arrived home from a wonderful trip to celebrate with my husband's family. I am anxious to share details of an exciting visit. There are also adorable memories to record from tonight at our own house; conversations with our children about Christmas. But for tonight, I will save all of those stories to quiet my heart and focus on Him. I read the following quote and thought it worthy of mention:
“We rejoice in the fact that God has actually been here — and that is one half of the meaning of Advent.That is why, behind all our fun and games at Christmastime, we should not try to escape a sense of awe, almost a sense of fright, at what God has done.We must never allow anything to blind us to the true significance of what happened at Bethlehem so long ago.Nothing can alter the fact that we live on a visited planet.We shall be celebrating no beautiful myth, no lovely piece of traditional folklore, but a solemn fact. God has been here once historically, but, as millions will testify, he will come again with the same silence and the same devestating humility into any human heart ready to receive him.” J.B. Phillips
Lord Jesus,
Remind me that every day is a celebration of your great love and grace. Every day is an opportunity to worship and remember you and that first Christmas morning. Thank you for laying down your crown and walking with us. Thank you for giving my life meaning and hope through your great sacrifice.

1 comment:

RHB said...

Amen