Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The art museum

"Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better." Andre Gide

Lydie loved this imaginative folk art
I got an email the other day stating that today was "Homeschool Day" at the art museum. Without a second thought I ordered my discounted tickets on-line. This morning when I got out my daily planner, I saw that today was museum day. I thought to myself how excited Jaybird would be to see Renoir paintings after a year-long artist/picture study of his "favorite painter". And Toot, I thought about how five was a wonderful age to see the beauty and inspiration in great artwork. And Lydie....Lydie! Oh no! I got ahead of myself again. What about the baby? She certainly is NOT at an age to appreciate anything that requires being still, patient and quiet. It was too late for a sitter. So with a shrug and a prayer we packed up the juice boxes, granola bars and camera and headed to town.

Toot loved this painting...I guess he thought it looked like a silly face

Jaybird did not disappoint. He was mesmerized. The exhibits were marvelous. He enjoyed reading the artist and title for each piece of art. You could almost see his photographic memory processing each piece and putting it in a file for later. Toot was most impressed with the folk art. Each piece created a mini-cartoon in his imagination. And Lydie did pretty well! She was the ONLY baby in the museum, but overall she was content to sit in her stroller and absorb the assortments of beautiful colors and patterns.



Jaybird pretended to whisper into the statue's ear...see her listening?
Looking back, I can see that I was a little crazy to schedule a trip in town to an art museum with three young children, particularly a week before Christmas. But at the same time, I love these spontaneous trips. I think many times it is better as a Mom to not over think our time with our children. Being well prepared is one thing, and it is good. But over-analyzing is another. (I am preaching to myself here!) Today was a wonderful day!

No comments: