Thursday, September 07, 2006

Homeschool Highlights




We have been studying different types of animals this year in homeschool. First we studied farm animals and farming, then wild animals and the zoo and this week we are studying birds. I wanted to post some of our favorite projects. The first picture is of our clay monkeys. The second is of the kids feeding a calf at the dairy farm...my favorite field trip thus far! (That's my big belly in the picture.) The third is #1 finding the queen bee at the honey exhibit at the farmer's market. And the last is some animal creation that #1 made from his Kidnex toys. Tomorrow the kids are making bird houses with Dad. I'll post pictures, should be fun.

One of my highlights in school this week was #2's prayer for our day yesterday. He prayed an original that made me smile. "Dear Jesus, I just pway dat you have a good day. I hope your day goes well Jesus. In Jesus name, Amen!"

Also, reading clicked for #2 today. We used those Leap Frog refrigerator letters for reading lesson. I needed a break from 110 Easy Lessons...it's so monotonous! I started putting any and every 3 letter word I could think of together. He was sounding them out and reading! I was so excited that Daddy was down stairs and got to be a part of our big day. We were all jumping up and down (well, I was sortof jumping, maybe bouncing) and clapping and yelling. It was so sweet! As exhausted and sometimes even worthless as I feel, somehow we are getting school accomplished and the year is really going well in terms of learning and fun. Now if only I can get the rest of our life in order (laundry, bills, errands, etc.etc.etc.)!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like you are making learning fun! That's a great idea to build a birdhouse together!

I loved Toot's prayer.

We have used the leapfrog magnets too and I liked them. I have also liked some of their videos. I agree 100 easy lessons can get monotonous.

Renee said...

Sounds like everyone is having so much fun. I'm afraid I'm not that creative with our homeschooling - maybe it's because we are only in our 2nd week?

RHB said...

What fun lessons! I bet they remember these times with you for years to come!

I am amazed at how you fit it all in! Laundry, errands, cooking, and cleaning seem to fill my time (along with learning French and being a mommy)- do you really take care of the bills too?