Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Blah, blah, blah

This week has been exhausting, particularly today. I am having aches all over my body! But, we have accomplished a lot and are still planning to move on Saturday. This afternoon I spent almost 2 hours on the phone trying to transfer utilities. It took that long to accomplish 3 phone calls! Thankfully, I was busy organizing our filing system and that kept me patient. Incidentally, I had let our billing statements build into this huge stack on top of the filing cabinet. It took me the entire 2 hours to file them! I love organization and usually actually enjoy anything around the house that accomplishes a look or feeling of being organized. But I hate to file bills.

Anyway, mission accomplished. We accomplished many other menial, yucky tasks like getting all of the storage boxes out of the attic, going through all of the boys' toys and organizing/trashing, and I made #1's space invitations for his birthday party. I also wrote an article for our church's women's ministry newsletter. It will probably be the most worthless piece of reading that any of them have ever read. But today was the day to at least get the first draft done and I did accomplish that. Praise the Lord that the kids were having a blast at VBS and I didn't have to worry about them.

I guess tomorrow will consist of more hours on the phone with utility companies and I think I'll tackle the bedroom closet. Also, I am going to take a ton of stuff to a consignment sale. Might as well let our trash be someone else's treasure, right?

Question of the day: What is your opinion on having a joint party for siblings? I am thinking of doing that this year. I feel a little guilty because birthdays are very special days around here. We try very hard to emphasize JESUS at Christmas, and not focus on gifts for the kids. (Of course, we go the grandparent's houses and that philosophy is null and void.) But on birthdays I really try to celebrate my little one's life. I try to make their big day individual and special. I am always abiding by a strict budget, so it's not so much about the money invested, just about the celebration. So I wonder if having a joint party would be a big let down. Our boys' birthdays are 31 days apart and I'm just not sure if I can handle planning two parties as I unpack the new house and prepare for the baby's birth.

3 comments:

Renee said...

My husband would thank you for this post as it reminded me of my job to do while he was out of town-file bills! So, I stopped, pulled the basket out of the closet that was on top of the cabinet, and got it done, all 5 months or so. Why do we hate that task so much?

I'm with you on the birthday decision. We try to make birthdays bigger, too, but I would say that with all you have on your plate right now, you would benefit greatly from a joint party.

Happy packing!

Abby said...

so glad about the sell of your house and the finding of what sounds like a great one! i considered putting amabel and august's parties together this year for very similar circumstances (moving, baby, etc.) and I think it would have been fun. amabel was actually excited about the idea. their birthdays are even a little further apart- 45 days. in the end, i decided to go ahead and get amabel's over with. but the thing about a party is that it is rarely on the actual day anyway, and so i made sure to take her out for breakfast and on a fun outing, just the two of us, on her actual birthdate. could you do the party for the two of them and then do a very special outing on each of their special days (even if it involves all four of you, just letting that child pick an activity and eatery?) well, that's my two cents from recently mulling over the same idea. so glad things are coming together- even if it is at breakneck pace!!!

Wendy said...

We have done this every year. My daughter and son are have birthdays within 2 weeks of each other, so while they are young it has been easy to get the family together once. I make 2 cakes and the kids don't seem to mind at all. They open the presents seperately and it has actually helped teach them to be happy for someone else and not just think of themselves. We still make their actual birthday special with just us by having cupcakes or getting their favorite ice cream.