Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Plans for 2010-2011

Because May and June are the months to find great deals at used curriculum sales, I have spent the past 2 weeks evaluating and researching our curriculum choices for next year. I am very excited about our choices:


Math

J: Horizons 4

T: Horizons 2

*We are leaving Saxon!





Linguistics

J: Abeka Language 4

Abeka Spelling, Vocab., & Poetry 4

Veritas Press reading books and comprehension guides, grade 5

How to Report on Books, gr. 3-4

Institute of Excellence in Writing



T: Abeka Language 3

Abeka Spelling, Vocab., & Poetry 3

Veritas Press grade 3

How to Report on Books, gr. 1-2

Journal writing





Read-Alouds

Follow My Father's World lesson plans for the Explorers through 1815 series





Science

Biology and Botany using the texts and projects from:

The World of Animals:Answers in Genesis

Exploring God's World through Botany (Apologia)





Art/Art History

Draw & Write bk. 4

God and the History of Art





Music

Intro. to Schubert, Mendelssohn, & Chopin (My Father's World plans)

Then Sings My Soul hymns





History

Various texts and living books from the Exploration to 1815 series of My Father's World

Mystery of History, vol. 3





Bible

Bible reading and catechism/memory verses

Boy, Have I Got Problems! study of James devotion





Latin

J: Lively Latin

T: Songschool Latin





Logic

J: Mind Benders A1

T: Mind Benders beginners 2





Geography

Learn the locations of the 50 States (Geography songs and maps/ excerpts from Cantering the Country)

Learn the location of the 53 Asian countries (Geography songs and maps)

Review European countries, all continents, all oceans

Scholastic Maps workbooks gr.3 & 4





Pre-K (Lydie)

Horizons Pre-K

Before Five in a Row


I have no idea how my schedule will look! I have no idea how I will fit it all in! But these are the curriculum choices that I feel like we should be doing so, Lord willing, we will get it all done. (Next year may be a 12 month school year! Or, we may have a 5 hour school day as opposed to 4!) My choices are a combination of classical, Charlotte Mason, and unit studies. Some say they can't be combined, but I beg to differ!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I love watching the development of your homeschool schedule! So fun! And certainly you can combine whatever you want. That's part of the beauty of homeschooling.

Jennifer said...

I was at our curriculum fair last weekend, and was planning to post our plans this week. Again, we have many of the same things going on! I love homeschooling along with you in the blog world. : )