Friday, October 17, 2008

A week of gifts

To most outsiders, the past week would look a little grim. With Granddaddy's death and my husband's back issues, it hasn't been a breeze of a week. Andy attempted dinner out with us tonight, his only time out of the house in 8 days except for one failed attempt at teaching and three trips to various doctors. He has been in the bed for over a week! Thankfully, he can get a lot of work done with the laptop. But he really hasn't seen anyone outside of our little clan and not much daylight.

I can't pretend to understand the purposes for these tough times. Andy had to turn down two jobs for early next week, which is unfortunate for our budget. He had to miss important functions at church. He missed teaching biology on Monday, or at least most of it, as well as a speaking engagment at the beach. And he hasn't been able to sit through hardly any family meals. No, I can't pretend to understand exactly why things like this minor setback, much less major ones happen.

But I can choose to focus on the blessings we have received. I think I will list them, just to remind myself of God's faithfulness. These records will become faith-builders for times to come.
~Our new sofa was delivered on Wednesday, a gift from my Mom and Dad.
~Andy's parents sent us an unexpected financial gift. Not a loan, a gift. What a wonderful surprise!
~At the beginning of each day, I have had more energy than I can describe. Almost every night, I have put the children to bed with the same amount of energy at the end of the day.
~Two senior high girls called and offered to come and help me with whatever I needed this week, free of charge. I had two and a half hours to run errands alone one of these days!
~Dozens of people have shared that they are praying for us right now.
~A group of kids from church decorated Andy's office with balloons and encouraging notes.
~My Andy bought me flowers on his way home from the chiropractor.
~I have felt God's presence in undeniable ways this week. His love and grace is more than enough.
~God gave me two opportunities to "pay it forward" with other friends in need this week.
Colossians 1:11
"May you be made strong with all strength that comes from his glorious power, and may you be prepared to endure everything with patience, while joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the light."

5 comments:

Paula said...

WOW! How incredible. Isn't God so good and gracious.

Your new couch is beautiful.

Tiff said...

My hubby had back surgery about 3 years ago and he suffered much in the week before that. I know how it feels to have your man, your rock on this earth, physically weak. We will be praying for all of you!

Your exercise of naming God's gifts is wise and cheerful. In our darkest times of our 12 years of marriage, I have gone back to our days before we met, even our childhoods, to name all of the providential ways God worked just to bring us together (I'm sure you remember my silly crushes all thru high school and freshman year of college!). Then, I name to amazing things He has done during our marriage together, just as King David did. I can NEVER feel pity for myself when I see the bigger picture! It's a sooting balm for a soul, don't you think!

AND a new couch is such a gift! We have a sectional too and the boys LOVE to jump every cushion. It's a great snuggle place. Enjoy!

RHB said...

Praying for A's back and that your family gets back to normal very soon.

Heidi said...

Beautiful post. I appreciate your positive attitude. I'm thinking of you today!

(Love your new sofa!!)

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

LOVE the couch! I also love hearing about God's provision for your beautiful family at this time...praise the Lord!