Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A dozen years already

My man has planned some really wonderful anniversary celebrations over the past few years. Sinking to the pit of despair in our marrriage, as I talked about here, has changed us profoundly in every aspect of our relationship. God took away my selfish expectations and set my heart back on worshiping Him (as opposed to myself or my family). And as a result, family life is such a blessing.

This past Sunday was Toot's birthday and our anniversary, as I mentioned. We have been married a dozen years! My hubs decided to surprise me with a night away. Mimi kept the boys and Nana kept Lydie while he whisked me off for 24 hours to ourselves. He chose the hotel where we spent our wedding night together for our stay. He kept hinting at the weekend by saying, "We are going to a place where we REALLY got to know each other." I was certain it was Auburn, our college town. Now, I get it. :) So we get to the hotel and he tells me he got a slight upgrade to our room. To our surprise, the entire hotel was buzzing with children and pets and completely full due to the evacuation for Hurricane Gustav. Consequently, we were upgraded to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE.

I have zero experience with this type of luxury. This room normally costs $1500 per night. Can you imagine? We paid a teeny tiny fraction of the cost. But we still received the perks: champagne with strawberries, breakfast in bed, a butler on-call, a two story penthouse complete with private roof deck, the works. We decided to eat out, do a little shopping, and spend the rest of the time enjoying the amazing room. We soaked it all up! What a celebration. I don't deserve to have such an amazing husband (much less such an amazing God), they are both so patient and forgiving with me. But I am thankful and pray for more and more years to enjoy this "one flesh", mysterious relationship. It's so wonderful how something so rich and full continues to multiply.


"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorigy the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then , just as Christ accepted you in order to bring praise to God." Romans 15:5-7

4 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

A BEAUTIFUL love story for 2 VERY special people!

You deserve it!! :) Here's to many dozen more!!

Abby Hutto said...

What a sweetie your husband is! I read some of your older blogs about your past struggles. THANK YOU for your honesty and vulnerability. That is such an encouragement for those of us who are going through some growing pains in our own marriages. Ken and I have only been married 5 yrs. and the first 4 were a whirlwind. This last year has been quiet enough for us to really reflect on our marriage--and we have a lot of work to do. Please pray for us as we strive to love the Lord with our WHOLE hearts and to turn and love each other completely as well. It is a daily struggle, but I am thankful that God's grace is new every morning. Thanks again--your story gives me lots of hope.

Jackie said...

Whoo-hoo! Big congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!
Anniversaries are something to be celebrated for sure. What a treat - you both look very happy!