Thursday, March 06, 2008

Shame on me!

I referred to a desk that we refinished for Jaybird for Christmas back in December. I was going to post pictures, but decided as I prepped it to photo that it needed one more touch-up. I am ashamed to say that it took us until today to give it the final polish and put it in his room. Poor guy, the only thing he "really wanted" for Christmas was a desk with pencils and a journal. So today, March 6th, he finally got his special present. Wow, I am so glad that he is gracious. He has a space-themed room. The desk's color was chosen because it is classic for a boy and spacey, of course. And the knobs have a space-age look, too. They will probably have to be replaced as he matures, but oh well.
We found the desk at a thrift store for $19.00. We sanded it and used Walmart spray paint for $3.00...three cans of 99 cent paint. We paid another 99 cents for the clear coat of paint. The knobs were the big expense, $3.99 a piece. The drawers are wonderful on the inside. The middle drawer has half a dozen little compartments for special treasures...stickers, stamps, etc. (No, those would be my treasures, his will probably consist of rocks and worms instead!) The investment for the desk was less than $45. We hope it will last throughout his childhood. Hopefully our budding writer will imagine and create many new stories and adventures with his belated gift.
BEGINNING

MIDDLE

AND FINALLY...THE FINISHED PRODUCT

And now, about that desk chair.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! Very cheerful. You did a great job - now come help me!!! :)

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

LOVE it!!! :) Great work!

Paula said...

you are so talented. i need to look for some good buys like that.

Jessica said...

I love the desk and the colors you picked! How vibrant and fun!

I left a response to your TOG questions at my blog for you.

:) Jessica