Sunday, June 24, 2007

Brothers

The other day #1 and #2 were arguing non-stop. I was biting my lip trying not to lose my temper. Finally, I called them into the kitchen and gave them the "brothers" talk. The talk usually consists of reminders: we are to build one another up and not tear one another down, out of the billions of people on earth God chose you two to be brothers, you are to watch over one another and protect each other (including protecting the insides as well as the outsides), etc. The "brothers" talk is usually quite effective. But not so much that day.

A little while later we were having lunch. Out of the blue (or in other words, as God prompted), #1 asked, "Who was the first baby on earth?" That lead to the story of Cain and Abel. It brought us full circle back to the "brothers" talk. We were able to look at the life of Cain and reflect on how envy, strife and anger can lead to the very worst outcome. I was so excited because it was evident that God was giving me a teachable moment. I love those moments! This time the talk worked and #1 and #2's hearts were softened. God is so good to send His Spirit even in the hearts of our little ones and open their eyes to the messages in His Word. I am so honored to get to watch Him at work!

1 comment:

MorningSong said...

Thanks for sharing this!! I always try to bring things back to training a godly heart but at times I am at a loss for words. Now I have another way to share this. I will definitely use this. How awesome for the Cain/Abel story to come up too!! God is Awesome!!!