Thursday, April 26, 2007

To paint or not to paint

The past couple of days have not been glorious. I am being my usual perfectionistic, crazy, idealistic self trying to get some "important" projects accomplished before Sunday. On Sunday #3 will be baptized. We are having 20-30 friends and family over to our house after church for a luncheon. I seem to have the bad habit of taking a simple luncheon or dinner party and turning it into an opportunity to majorly overhaul the house. A few new plants or a new tablecloth, fine. But why do I set these crazy goals? I have neurotically been gardening, painting kitchen hinges and touching up cabinet paint, and cleaning the carpet. Yesterday I decided that the pool needed to be "opened" because it is in view of our deck where people will be seated. We have a lovely view of woods, trails and flowers, and then there is the green, gunky water and leaf filled pool cover. So for several hours yesterday afternoon I was out sucking water and leaves off of the top of the cover with the shop vac and buckets and a net. Not a fun job.

Later that night I took the kids to the library. #1 wants to get the gold award for his reading program at school. He decided that he could meet the first grade requirements instead of the kindergarten requirements like his other classmates. That would have been perfectly reasonable except that the other children began reading last June and we did not start until march 23rd. He has to read 60 books to me, and I have to read 60 books to him from the school's book list. He has read all 60. I have 30 to go...by Tuesday!! So we were at the library checking out the last 30. The boys were running around pulling out the I Spy and Eric Carle collection, the baby was dangling and flopping in the Baby Bjourn and I was sweating. As we went back to the car and I opened the trunk to heave the books in and hurry home for bedtime, I realized that my stroller was missing. ugggg...I had left it at the park earlier. How silly!! I managed to unpack everything, throw away the trash that always collects in the stroller basket, and then proceed to leave my stroller right there in the parking lot! We drove 20 minutes back to the park at almost 8 pm, no stroller! And then I stopped at Dairy Queen for milkshakes. Sugar + bedtime= frustration!

My man helps with youth group on Wednesday nights. Wednesday at bedtime is always crazy. Sometimes I am brushing teeth with a hungry baby breastfeeding, simultaneously. Last night was no exception. When I got all of the critters in bed it was 9:00. I had planned to start the last project on my list, the doozy, the mother of all projects. I was going to begin painting the family room, including the walls, the mantle and the brick fireplace. I called my dear friend who always knows just how to comfort me when I am overwhelmed and confused. She told me to go to bed and see if I still felt overwhelmed today. I reluctantly did exactly as she suggested, thank the Lord.

So I am still debating...to paint or not to paint??

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Funny, I think I just read a post about myself. I am the same way. So, my answer would be to paint because I'm just that crazy and that is what I would be doing.

Did you ever find your stroller?

I hope you have a wonderful time w/family and friends this weekend!

Glass Half Full said...

I got very tired reading the first paragraph!!! :)

Any luck with the stroller??? Bet your heart just sank. :(

Praise God for friends in times of need, huh?? PRICELESS!!