Friday, June 09, 2006

Mapping out our course

The past two weeks have been full of ups and downs. I feel like I need a vacation! My man turned in his resignation at work. He plans to work at home doing the same type of consulting. He chose to do this to cut back on his work hours so that he can teach a few science classes at a homeschool co-op, begin to fundraise for the retreat center that we dream of opening, and spend more time with us. All in all, this career change is something we have dreamed of for several years and knowing that the time is finally here is a strange feeling. To make a long story short, his boss went from being fuming angry to completely supportive of his career change. It is awesome to see God work in the hearts of others! So anyway, today is his last day at the office.

We have seen God open major doors in providing us the opportunity to pursue our big dream of having a retreat center. Several extremely wealthy people have expressed an interest in hearing our vision and contributing financially. I am biased, but I believe the passion and determination that my man speaks with when he is talking about this dream of his is enough to convince anyone to want to be on board. So now we are trying to decide how to steer our family in that direction. (We realize that we may not see this longing fulfilled for many years, but we still believe we need to be working toward it.) We need to pray about where to live and how to school the children. There is a lot on our decision-making plate and the time to make these decisions is now! I could go into great detail, but I guess the point is that we need to be covered in prayer. In a month, all of these decisions will be made and we will be living somewhere else preparing for the school year. I am excited and thrilled to see what God has waiting for us this year. I feel more anxiety about unmade decisions than actual changes. Once we have a clear vision of where we are going and what this year will look like for our family then I will be more at peace. It feels so incredibly encouraging to know the God of the universe has our future mapped out and that he is truly going to give us the best thing for our relationship with Him. I keep thinking of the verse in Proverbs, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

So if you think of it, pray for our family today!

2 comments:

Renee said...

I will definitely keep you all in my prayers. So many decisions at one time can get a little overwhelming, I know. A retreat center sounds like a great venture! We have always thought of running some sort of Christian camp, but God has not led in that area yet ~ far from it actually. Such a neat ministry and a great place to raise a bunch of kiddos. Hope you'll keep us up to date.

Joan said...

I've not heard you blog about it before. Tell us more about what your vision is so we know how to pray.