Saturday, June 10, 2006

Magical

Tonight was a wonderful summer night. After a cookout with burgers, corn on the cob, beans and pickles, we went outside. The boys ended up running in the sprinkler, playing catch with the older neighbors and riding bikes. #2 rode his tricycle all the way to the cul-de-sac, which is a long way for him. My man played his guitar on the porch and I sat in a lawn chair and soaked it all up. We got to see the sun set and the moon appear. We saw our first fireflies. It was sortof magical. *Sidenote: I am convinced that #1 needs to succumb to a regular afternoon nap. We go swimming most mornings and if he will nap in the afternoon then we can enjoy many more evenings together like this. I'm not sure how to convince a five year old that he needs to revisit the nap era, but we were all glad that he did today.

Anyway, the kids were enjoying dessert in the yard when #1 told me a funny story. He is always making up stories in his head and telling them to himself or whoever will listen. This one was about our house. He named the house "Jackie", which just so happens to be the name of our current real estate agent. Well, he tells me that our house is really a house person. The roof is her hair, the windows are her eyes, the bricks are her skin, and the door is her mouth. When we go inside Jackie, we are really inside her body. He ends with, "My bedroom is her brains. I think the playroom is her heart. The pipes are her blood vessels." The story took a turn for the worse at this point when he said in an eery voice, "And the trees in our yard are monsters...and they grab Jackie, and..." Then my husband started playing eery music on the guitar and they came up with a song about our house, Jackie.

I'm not sure why I shared all of that except that it may prove once and for all what has come out of our mouth several times this week. We are a crazy family! Oh, and I love early summer. Have I mentioned that already?

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Oh, that sounds like a wonderul summer evening! I absolutely love days like that. Those days are so refreshing to the soul, aren't they? :)