Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fun days!

Our school emphasizes public speaking, beginning in kindergarten. Lydie has had two major opportunities for it this year. She had nursery rhyme day when she had to memorize and recite a nursery rhyme. And then this past week she had to memorize and recite a book report. She is a fabulous public speaker. She gets excited, not a bit nervous this time. She read and wrote about Pinkalicious. I had a volunteer watch my class and saw her give her report.  Precious, I tell ya.

Our goal at school is to raise $45,000 for various needs. The student body gets a reward as each $5,000 goal is met. A few of our fun days have included Wild West day and Facial Hair day. Also, one of the teachers had to shave his beard to look like Seneca Crane from Hunger Games. Oh, good times. I will say, the teachers are a little overwhelmed, including myself, with all the extra excitement (and distraction) that all of these treats bring to our classroom. But really, we all need to lighten up and enjoy. The kids are having a blast.
Our own, Seneca Crane
So far, we have reached $40,000. Next week we will have Crazy Hat day, Cupcake day, and we get to vote on some type of task that the headmaster will have to do. So far I have heard rumors of shaving a mohawk, pies to the face, and dressing up like a lady. I am just relieved not to have to teach another day wearing a mustache.


To our family and friends who keep up with us here, THANK YOU for your donations to our school! It is the main place of ministry for me and for the kids. Also, many of our closest friends also reap the benefits of the atmosphere and love we all find here. We appreciate your support, and pray and trust that each dollar will be used for the glory of God! Our family alone has raised just under $1,000 for the school. What a blessing!

One of my students, testing one of our homemade anenometers in science class.
We are trying to keep our sights set on the finish line of this school year, and finish WELL! We have three academic weeks left. Then four additional days of school for awards day, parties, and special events. The children have reaped the benefits of being a part of such a vibrant, intentional, godly atmosphere. And there is not a week that goes by that one of the children's teachers does not stop me in the hall to report a kind word or effort on the part of our children. It is so encouraging to see them stand on their own two feet and excel and bless their friends and teachers. Praise the Lord for His grace in their lives. Although it has been a bit of culture shock for me (after 12 years out of the classroom...MUCH has changed) and a huge adjustment for us all, I know God is at work. And I am excited.

I thought this bartender costume for Wild West day was great.  Some teachers were not amused and thought it was inappropriate. 
I cannot believe I am already wrapping up our first year at this school and making plans for the summer and next year! The fast pace of life frightens me sometimes! Note to self: Be all there...in every moment!


Pinkalicious, ready to go! 

No comments: