Monday, August 27, 2012

Our first week of school

This is the first day of our second week at our school.  Last week went so well for most of us (excluding Lydie who had a rough last couple of days missing me).  The boys are adjusting with ease so far.  And I love, and I mean LOVE, teaching!  I forgot how much the routine and order of a classroom is so comforting to me.  I relish the ability to do one thing at a time with one grade level.  I love the predictability and structure.  My class is full of so many different personalities and strengths, but each child is a treasure and I have enjoyed so much getting to know each one.  What a sweet age third grade is- still loving and wanting to please, yet so well trained and self-controlled! 

I appreciate the support I am receiving from the staff.  So much prayer, insight, creativity, and encouragement every day.  I needed these boosts in my teaching and love it.  It is an amazing feeling to work at a place that I can support theologically and professionally.  The philosophy of the school is my ideal and I am so thrilled to be a part of the mission of this school!  It has been more work than I anticipated. But you know what they say about doing something you love?  That you'll never work another day in your life.  It's fun, good work.

My children are all growing under the leadership of others.  God so tenderly gave them each the teachers that they need.  I especially love the two very godly men who are/will be teaching them in the logic and rhetoric school. Also,  Joshua's teacher is so thoughtful and attentive to him as a new, shy student.  She has made observations and encouraged him in ways that most teachers would not take the time to do.  I am so thankful!  And as a result, he is thriving and making friends quickly, which is usually difficult for him.  I saw a couple of kids pat him on the shoulder to say good-bye when I picked him up today.  God is already answering prayers for us in Joshua's life.  It is good to see, and I pray that we see even more, that Joshua is coming out from under the shadow of his brother and finding his own strengths and gifts.

Jack, as usual, has made friends with all the guys and most of the girls.  He just fits right in.  Our prayer is that he would become a servant-leader for his friends, even though he is the "new guy".  I am so excited about the good habits he is forming that I struggled to instill in him.  Simple, but good things, like organization, neatness, and independence.  He has really done well with his locker, switching classes, taking notes, and keeping up with all of his assignments and tests.  And he is trying out for the school play next month.  His literature teacher has already discussed with me his "insightfulness" with the books they are studying in class.  So fun to hear other adults recognize the same gifts that I have.  (And as far as weaknesses, I am just waiting for his very particular history teacher to send me an email about his sloppy handwriting.  So glad she is more of the enforcer, and I am the cheerleader.  It's good to delegate!

Poor Lydie has struggled the most.  And to think that we hardly even prayed for her!  I expected her to jump in and not look back!  But instead, by mid week she was ready to go home and cried many tears.  Today she did much better and we are thinking she was just exhausted.  So we are going to sleep a little earlier this week and leaving school earlier, too.  She has half the school praying for her, as many children and teachers saw her crying.  I am pretty sure 50 people asked her how her day went today and hugged her.  She is loved, and she knows it.  I am sure she loved the attention and praise everyone gave her.  I think she will come around and love school as much as the boys!  I am SO excited for all of us and cannot wait to see what the Lord teaches us all this year! 

No comments: