Saturday, September 01, 2012

Happy

We had another wonderful week.  Actually this was an excellent week.  Lydie decided on Monday that school is fun, after all.  And she decided to trust that I would pick her up every day after carpool.  So she just gave in, relaxed, and had a blast.  Here she is at "The Teddy Bear Parade".  It was really fun to take her stuffed animal to school all day.  She got to come by my classroom for the parade.  I waved frantically like a weirdo.  It's just so cute seeing her with her classmates.  In a couple of weeks she has nursery rhyme night.  Grandparents and parents come to see the kindergartners dressed up, reciting their nursery rhymes.  She is reciting "Bye Baby Bunting".  Oh my goodness.  Cannot wait!  She has two best friends, Meg and Anne Coulter.  And they have the funniest conversations at recess.  I am loving hearing about it.  Little boys asking them if they will marry them.  Talk of whether to be teachers, doctors, or artists when they grow up and what the latest American Girl catalog had in it.  Good stuff.  Her teacher is tender, but firm.  She is perfect for Lydie who is tender, but also sometimes stubborn.  What a blessing!

Joshua is just thriving!  We were most concerned about him, as he has trouble making new friends.  And although all of the kids have done excellently with the adjustment, he has probably done the absolute best.  He has made so many friends!  I get to see him at recess and he is right in the group playing tag and talking.  Oh, it's such a relief.  I took cupcakes to his class on Friday, as it was his birthday.  And his teacher and a few friends prayed for him.  I had to wipe tears.  One little girl said, "Just thank you God that Josh is a really good boy and that he could be in our class."  Sniff sniff.  He has been inducted into the 4rth grade spelling club and math club.  This means he has 100% in spelling and that he can do his math facts correctly in a certain amount of time.  It's really fun.  His teacher is absolutely darling, and always thoughtful of him and loves him so much.  Thank you, Jesus!

And Jack has really adjusted amazingly to the logic school.  He is normally an A student, but has a B in two classes.  But considering the transition from homeschool to note taking, new curriculum, lockers, changing classes, and having seven teachers, I am very proud of him.  His teachers all say he is attentive and eager.  He has a literature teacher who is fresh out of college.  She has taken a special interest in him and noticed his gift with words.  I am excited about her influence on him.  All of his teachers are kind and encouraging.  He tells us funny conversations he has with his friends, which boys have crushes on which girls, and what the latest trends are in sports or video games.  It's amazing what the kids pack into their conversations between classes, at lunch, and in their 10 minute break each day.  We were really concerned about p.e. for him, as he is not athletic and has not really had that type of class with homeschooling.  But he actually loves it.  So that's a surprise and really good.

And I have to say I am amazed at how completely happy I feel with my own students.  Again, I know Joy is always available and I feel it every day because of Christ.  But happiness is a luxury, and I am so deeply happy.  I am happy for my children.  I am happy as a teacher with my students and my new friends who are on staff. I am happy to have this great ministry with the parents of my students, as well.   I am so happy to see how my husband has adjusted and sacrificed in order to help me at home.  I know there are many reasons that God has us here.  But when we are at school I have that deeply satisfying feeling that He is revealing that all this time, He had this place in mind for us.  All this time there was this enormous blessing waiting to be revealed.  Wow.  I am in awe.  And I plan on enjoying and praising God for this time and place!

Today we are all like vegetables.  We spend Saturdays doing laundry and just doing nothing.  Oh, it's so good.  Work hard, play hard.  Love that feeling!

No comments: