Monday, April 23, 2012

Holding loosely

I have not been spending a good amount of time in the Word lately.  And I can tell, because I have a white-knuckled grip on worldly things.  I have found myself envious and less compassionate.  I have been more self-centered and less others-centered.  My thoughts are all about me, lately.  And life is pretty dull when I set my sights on what is temporal.  I need to remember whose I am, and hold the things of this world a little more loosely.  (It is all His anyway.  I have no ownership, I am just a steward here.)

I sometimes forget that every blessing and trial, every relationship and potential relationship, every moment and breath are opportunities to serve Jesus and share Him.  And I am remembering that life isn't about getting what I want out of it, it is about giving of myself for the glory of Jesus.  I forget that in loving my family well and pointing them to my Savior, I am sharing Christ with generations of people.  I forget that in serving and loving others, I am also sharing Christ with generations.  Every day, every moment, an opportunity to follow Christ and to keep my eyes on the finish line of heaven.

All the separate callings of my life- being a help mate, raising and educating our children, teaching, serving, being part of a larger family, friendships, a church body- they are to all be done for the glory of God, always with Him in mind.  As much as I love people, I must love others for the glory of God. Then I can extend bold love (even to those who do not deserve it or will never give it in return), and people will not disappoint.

I have trouble keeping my eyes fixed on Christ.  He knows this, and I thank Him for always gently reminding me.  When this life is over, His glory will be all that is on my mind-forever.  How hard to imagine, but what a joy that will be!  To finally live for worship, exactly what I was created to do!

2 Corinthians 5:6-10
"So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord- for we walk by faith, not by sight.  Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.  So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.  For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ..."

No comments: