Monday, July 18, 2011

A week away

The children and I left for 7 days at the beach. There is nothing quite so healing as stepping away for a while. We met our dear, sweet friends at the famous "Peach Park" in Clanton, and headed south from there. My friend Tammy and her children were a great encouragement to me. The highlight of the trip for me was staying up until the early morning talking with my wise, steady friend. We both had trials and blessings to share. And talking about them out loud gives way to gratitude for me. We shared thoughts of theology, parenting and homeschooling, fears, secrets, dreams. So thankful for my beautiful, vulnerable, honest friend!

During the day our routine was to wake up, eat, and head out to the beach. We stayed there or the pool until dinner time most days. We also played miniature golf, went to the water park, out to dinner, and on a long evening walk looking for crabs on the beach. Although our children are different in many ways, they got along very well and seemed to balance one another. I was especially excited to have Tammy's adventure-seeking son with my safety-seeking son at the water park. Because of him, my son tried and loved everything in the park including the "crazy" slides. I am almost certain he would have missed out on a lot of fun if it were just us there. And her two sweet, nurturing daughters made Lydie's week! It was a really good time.

I was so busy watching the children (Andy usually travels with me!) that I did not get out my camera a single time! It was just not a priority at all (as opposed to keeping my children alive and not lost!). So I have no photos to share!

Tammy left on Friday and Andy came down for a couple of days. We were all already exhausted and just about ready to come home. It rained the entire time he was there. In order for him to get one swim in at the beach and pool we had to just go in the rain! But I think he enjoyed the short time away, too. And we were really missing him by Friday! So all's well that ends well!

I spent some time in the Word every day. Here were some of the words God used to encourage me this week:



"But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me."


Psalm 13:5-6


**Reminder of the enormity of blessing found in my salvation alone!**




"Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who are kind to the needy honor him."


Proverbs 14:31


**Encouragement to press on and love the unlovely.**




"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage."


Psalm 16:5-6


**His will is good and perfect.**




"Those who are attentive to a matter will prosper, and happy are those who trust in the Lord."


Psalm 16:20


**Beautiful picture of the marriage of His will and my responsibility to obey.**




We took some bold steps last week. We made some big decisions. More about those soon...


No comments: