Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My word for 2010

Following Heidi's lead, I have chosen a word for the year for the third year, now. I choose by praying and thinking of what I feel will be most needed, given my limited insight into what is to come.

2008: Courage

2009: Satisfaction

2010: Peace

This year will be one of big changes. My husband wrote a very bold dream down on paper four years ago, at my urging. Way too tired for a man of thirty, and completely miserable in his job, I demanded that he figure out what he really dreamed of for his life. I was blown away with his 12 page answer!
In a nutshell, he desires a big chunk of land. His dream is to begin farming crops and livestock. And once the "Farm" is off and running, he has many wonderful ideas for ministry opportunities. A few include giving our fruits and veggies to those in need, housing missionaries when they are on sabbatical, teaching science classes or field trips on our land, having college interns that are seeking an agriculture degree (we are 45 minutes away from a big university with a rather large ag dept.), having a retreat building for small church groups, and even having a small L'Abri type facility for college students who are seeking answers and quiet weeks alone with God. We have also discussed ways to incorporate my gifts and hobbies into our farm life. Art classes, women's groups, my own acre or two for flowers to sell at "the markets", starting a business with the crafts that I make, and continuing to home school. Oh, and I forgot to mention my new passion for dune buggies. Isn't that lovely?

God has very quickly provided answers to my husband's diligent prayers. We have a 180-acre piece of property in our home state of Alabama that has been given to us to share with my parents, and eventually inherit as our own. The property houses a 4 bedroom house that has been renovated for our use. The barn on the property has been completely rebuilt and holds a plethora of brand new farming equipment waiting for our use. As a result, my husband feels like God is leading us to move back to Alabama. (Wouldn't you say these gifts are a BIG nudge?)

Our farm will be called, "Back Home Farms", for the obvious reason. But the name also has a sweeter story behind it. Last year both of my grandparents died. They grew up, along with my Dad, in the same county where we will be "farming". When we went to my Grandmother's funeral, my middle son showed me a piece of paper as we left. He said, "Look Mommy, I took notes." On the paper he had written, "Back Home". My Grandmother would have LOVED his notes! I knew instantaneously it was the name for which we had prayed.
So, back to the word for the year. Why Peace? The decision to make this enormous change in our life has left me on the biggest emotional roller coaster of my life! I am honored and excited to be able to watch my husband enter into a perfect calling for him-working the land along with mercy ministry. Anyone who has ever spent any time with him outdoors knows that his love and knowledge of God's creation is astounding. I feel so blessed (and terrified) to be the wife of someone who is leaving a stable, corporate, honorable job where his name is reputable to start a farm. In Alabama, they don't even do a census of the number of small farms any more. The number is just too small to bother with. Most people do not respect the occupation of farming in the south because it is associated with poverty and the uneducated. In addition to the pride I feel for Andy's courage and humility, I am also thrilled for my Dad. He is getting ready to retire and partner with us. And my Dad has shared this dream since way before I was a glimmer in his eye. It truly is amazing to see how God has walked before us and brought this all together.

On the other hand, I have never lived anywhere besides the city. I love my house, neighborhood, home school group, friends, and just the area in general. (I admit I will miss the local stores and even Target a little more than I should admit!) And I absolutely love our church. I am pretty sure we will never be a part of such a solid, stable, loving Body of believers. I am lamenting every day the thought of leaving our "family" here. But I am reminded of the deep joy that is found in submitting to God and my husband, even when it is extremely difficult. I trust them completely with this decision and feel like obedience is the answer for me! But still, I pray for peace every day. I pray God will give me a sense of "home" within a relatively short amount of time. And I am thankful that I know a God who promises that our faith will lead to a deeper love and understanding for Him. It will be very good (albeit emotionally painful at times)to be in a situation that forces me to rely on Christ in a deeper manner than I need to right now. (Hebrews 11 has a list of many things that God has asked His people to do that were just plain crazy and required tremendous faith. The pages in my Bible for these verses may be worn to shreds by the end of the year!)

As my husband says,
"There is no growth in a comfort zone.
And there is no comfort in a growth zone."

So as I type this post, we are getting ready to put the "For Sale" sign in the yard. When our house sells, however long that takes, we will be headed back to Alabama. Lord, give me Peace!!

**If you are a friend and hearing this news for the first time, please forgive me. We made the announcement to the Youth Group at church on Sunday and I know the word will spread like wildfire now. I guess this is as good a place to hear our news than any other! And I figure much better than from a text or Facebook!
**Pictured above: weekends at the farm

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

What exciting news! Thrilled for you... and your family!

PEACE, Peace, Peace to you, my friend!

RHB said...

Praying for your heart as you enter this period of tremendous transition. It will be exciting to see how the Lord continues to provide and to unfold His plan for your lives and ministry! I'm excited for you!

Jackie said...

Wow! That is BIG news! I will be so pleased to follow along on your journey on the blog! May God bless you abundantly!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Oh Sweet Friend,

Although I have not walked in your exact shoes, I can relate when we were told we would have to relocate to Georgia.

We did not know a soul and the move would send us just about as far as you could be from coast to coast from our family and friends.

It was indeed a leap of faith. However, the rewards and blessings were waiting for us literally the moment we stepped foot on the beautiful red clay dirt...YOU being the 1st! :)

I will pray that as you take this leap of faith that He will bring you the people and resources needed each day or direct your steps to find them yourself, if need be.

You will look back and see God right beside you as you take each unknown step.

Congratulations on taking the first step...for I believe that is always the hardest.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing. I have been a follower of your blog and enjoy your inspirational messages. Prayers for you as you begin your new life in Alabama. Your post has brought tears to my eyes. My husband is currently working and living in the Atlanta area and I am still home in the mid Atlantic with our girls. So scared and reluctant to move! I wish I could be so trusting and faithful.

Kelly said...

Wow! Praying for you and knowing God will bless your obedience to follow your husband's calling. The changes will be challenging, for sure, but how exciting! I find that even though I hesitate to make change, I am always blown away by the lavishness with which God blesses me when I trust Him.

Can't wait to follow your journey:-)