Thursday, January 07, 2010

Embracing Winter: My silver lining

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand, and melting like a snowflake."












~Marie Beyon Ray


***I do not believe we have only this moment. I believe we need to live for the moments we will have with Christ in eternity, not for the glory of this moment. BUT, I like the reminder that these moments are precious and fleeting. In order to give Him the glory for all we have, I think we need to suck every bit of joy and wonder out of these earthly days of ours. And, I like the analogy of the star and the snowflake, especially for winter time!


20 things this hot-weather lover is loving this winter:


1. Simple but fun art projects indoors







2. The anticipation of snow


3. Quiet reading and puzzles together


4.Peaceful flames dancing in the fireplace


5. Warm, sweet drinks
6. A date set to ice skate, followed by ice cream.


7. Motivation to fix my hair nicely and avoid pulling it back (my neck gets cold!)

8. Embracing this time of year to dream and set our course anew


9. An excuse to buy fresh flowers (I seem to find an excuse every season) and plant grass seeds in indoor pots- we need color!

10. More time indoors for projects- everything is getting organized!


11. Baked goods taste even more yummy after a 30 minute walk in the freezing cold
12. Cuddling and enjoying my new Snuggie, fuzzy slippers, and my husband's flannel pj pants.


13. Candle light every night at dinner (and sometimes breakfast too!)
14. No worries about pastey, white, dry skin- it's all covered with layers of clothing. And laughing at my girl with especially bad bed head after a night with the humidifier.

15. The anticipation of everything turning green again. The reminder of life after death!

16. Seeing so many more stars in the city on a clear, cold night! The sky was wonderful last night!
17. Looking forward to breaking in my new sewing machine! Pillows, bibs for friends, spring dresses, and fabric initials galore are on my wish list!

18. Being able to enjoy our basement again! It is finally completely repaired and better than new after the 20" rainfall in September.

19. As the kids are playing more indoors, I am more available to read! I have finished two books that seemed "unfinishable" and read a third. 24 books this year is my goal!

20. Winter brings Valentine's day and Andy's birthday. Looking forward to those celebrations.

1 comment:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Happy Snow Day!!! :) How fun is that?!

Happy New Year, Sweet Friend!