Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's day

My Valentine's day was a little different this year. Due to the financial struggles of my man having a new company, we decided not to celebrate this year. I can honestly say, by God's grace, that my love tank is completely full and I had no need to have a special day with him. So we exchanged cards and had some time alone after the kids went to bed and that was that.

I had plans to light red candles for breakfast before school and have heart shaped cinnamon toast. It never happened. I did slip a home-made valentine in their snack bags with a Reese's cup. Point is, by the end of the day I just kept reassuring myself, "There's always next year." I had chalked this year's celebration to being meaningless. Then at bed time my mood changed...

My man was gone to help with the youth at church. I was attempting to get all of my little ones to sleep. #1 was reading #2 a story on the floor in #3's room while I nursed her. He suddenly said ,"Oh, Mama, I want to give you something for Valentine's day." He went and got a dollar from his bank. "Here, Mama just for you. I love you." As he handed it to me he kissed #3 on the head and said, "And you're my sweetest lil' Valentine!" I could feel a tear trickling down. I knew that his dollars are so precious to him because he is saving for our trip to Disney. I said, "Here honey take this back. It's your Disney money!" He said, "You can spend it in Disney, Mama." Thank you, Jesus, for that moment of selflessness! Then a funny moment came next when #2 walked up behind him and kissed me on the cheek and said, "Dat's all I got, Mommy."

To celebrate Valentine's day at school the kids exchanged cards and candy, but they also participated in a service project. They put together vday bags for the local homeless shelter. There are currently 14 kids sleeping there, the exact # of kids in #1's class. So each child got to make one special gift. They talked about the story of the Good Samaritan and watched a video explaining homelessness. I can't imagine a more beautiful lesson of love for my tender-hearted 6 year old. I wish you could have heard him pour out is heart last night for the children that he had served. It was one of those moments, which are more common than not, when I was so thankful to not be homeschooling. (But I am cheering on all of you who continue to serve your children in that way!)

Despite my neglegence, this was my very favorite Valentine's day with the kids. God is so gracious. He is really working on the hearts of our family to give us a love for others outside of our own little family. I hope he will continue to squish our selfishness and replace it with His love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post!