Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Happy birthday, boys!

Well, Saturday was the big party for the boys. I must say that is was very fun, but WILD! Our guests arrived around noon. We had planned pizza, a game and then swimming and cake. Well...it began to POUR rain right around the time the party started. Sooo...I quickly decided with all 16 kids and almost as many adults to have a pizza picnic in our family room. We covered the entire floor with quilts and the kids had lunch. Then one by one, they filled all the rooms in our house with giggles and toys. The rain was still coming down hard. Keep in mind, we have kids ages 3-7 because the party is for both boys! I decided to take the 10 younger kids and paint. But where??? Again, we spread quilts, this time on the kitchen floor, and painted train frames in honor of #2's request for a "twain party". The kids really seemed to love this project. The little girls spent 20 minutes or so on their little art projects. The older kids were upstairs checking out #1 and #2's new room. The rain KEPT coming! So we decided to have cake. We had a train cake and a space cake. The kids revisited the "picnic" area in the family room. Then...the rain became a drizzle. My man decided to take the big kids out for a super space obstacle course. We had made each child a sunvisor with his or her name on it and he had foam space stickers to add to their hats throughout the course. He even had a map for each child, which was really cute. The rain finally let up and the sweet sunshine was bright. So as the kids ended the obstacle course (with very muddy shoes), the timing was perfect for me to yell, "Swim time!" I am so glad that the pool is in our yard and we had the option of doing things inside until the weather was nicer! We swam for about an hour and had a candy pinata and they all went home pooped. All I could think when it was all over was, "Wow! Thank you God! We pulled it off!" Did I mention that we have a big red playdough stain on our new family room carpet? Or that a beautiful teapot that my great aunt handpainted with our initials (I was named after her) broke into a million pieces? Oh well! I have precious, healthy kids that I have gotten to watch celebrate another birthday. I can't believe I have a 6 and 4 year old! I feel like the most blessed lady on the planet! Happy birthday, my little sweeties!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like a great time and wonderful to have the pool to enjoy!

Renee said...

I think you handled all of that pretty well! Not to mention that you are about to give birth! I think I would have failed that test miserably. Happy Birthday to your boys!

Anonymous said...

The kids get so big so quick. I sometimes marvel at the fact that I have four kids and how quickly they grow up!

Sounds like the party was very successful!

Anonymous said...

I too marvel at the fact that my kids are getting so big so fast!

Sounds like the party was very successful!