Thursday, March 08, 2012

Sleep vs. Sanity

My sleep pattern is off. Such a shame because I normally feel so energetic and vibrant, and this week I feel so sluggish and dissatisfied. I have family members who pride themselves on only sleeping 4 or less hours a night. I did not inherit those genetics. I need 7-8 hours of sleep for optimal health, like the average person, according to all the articles have read on the subject.
This past few weeks we have had many interruptions to our sleep. Nightmares, colds, loud or loose chickens. The children are welcomed to wake me up when they need me. But I am literally about to kill the chickens. Just spend six months with their "Cock-a-doodle-doos", especially when you have always been a city girl who is not a morning person, and you will daydream of wringing their necks. Savage, but true. Or am I just tired and crazy?
Here is the irony of it all. I have been staying up LATER this week. And here is why: I NEED TIME ALONE. My children (one or more) are with me 24/7. And then from 8:30-10:00 is time to be with my husband. And then he falls asleep and the house is SO QUIET. I cannot bear to leave the beautiful peacefulness of it all and go to sleep! I need to exist in quiet! So I read, use the computer, or watch television until I cannot bear to stay awake any more. Sometimes I light a candle and turn on music. It fuels me!! That is, until 5:30 when the rooster screams.

No comments: