Sunday, June 06, 2010

Relishing

We crossed the finish line (the end of the school year) a week ago Friday, as planned (miracle). The kids and I took turns dragging one another, but we made it! And the next morning we left for 8 days on the Gulf. Oh, the timing of it all! It was blissfully rejuvenating!

I think I figured out why the last two months of school were so difficult for me. I forgot how important it is to take time to rest and get away. I had given up any time at night with friends, only had a date or two, and my Friday sitter had cancelled more times than not. The combination of these things lead to MAJOR burn out! My husband kept telling me what was going wrong, but I was trying to complicate things. Silly me. God has made it clear to me that I am a better wife and mother when I have regular time alone. But I sometimes forget and trick myself into thinking I am using my time better by trudging along (miserable and exhausted). It took me the first two days at the beach to have a conversation with anyone. I was so tired and wound up! But really, who needs to talk with these views? What a wonderful blessing our week away turned out to be! Thank you Mimi and Papa for the amazing treat! We stayed in Gulf Shores at an amazing house on the bay. It was such a perfect combination of relaxation and entertainment. I feel 100% better and ready to relish the responsibilities (privileges) that God has given me again. (For example, not cringing inside when my kids need me! Not good!)

No comments: