Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ministry minutes at the egg hunt













Today was our neighborhood Easter egg hunt. It is SO tempting to find a little corner at these functions and just enjoy my own family. When I first moved to the neighborhood, a fellow Christian Mom that I respect told me not to bother with neighborhood friendships. She said the gossip would "kill me". For that reason, I have been very reluctant to jump in. Looking back, that lady was probably very accurate but her comment was not very biblical. I believe Christ calls me to make myself venture out, strike up conversations, pray for connections, and take a risk. At Easter, of all times, I should embrace the opportunity to share time (our most valuable resource) with others. There are so many opportunities to share the love of Christ right under my nose. Many times I have shied away because my need for support and friendship are already met, and I simply did not want to invite any more difficulty (or inconvenience) into my life.



I really enjoy spending time at home with my family. Maybe a little too much. Lately, I have realized that sacrificial love for me means putting down my book while the kids take karate and engaging with other parents. It means fighting the urge to sit alone during ballet lessons and read with the boys instead of sitting in the lobby with the other moms. It means volunteering with teenagers at church instead of always working with my children and their friends. It means talking with people on the phone when I would rather have some quiet time alone (after talking all day with the kids).


And today, loving Christ (and His kingdom) meant agreeing to keep the toddler, setting up the play date, and adoring the new baby. It meant talking with the ladies and the Dad instead of sitting at a picnic bench alone with my sweetheart. Such small things, tiny sacrifices, but substantial if done for the sake of Christ. It only takes the grace of God, a listening ear, and a friendly interest to make a connection. And because I know Jesus and his endless grace and mercy, I know He will continue to help me even though I continue to fail. I can't help but wonder how many of these opportunities I have missed? Or more importantly, how many of these opportunities lie ahead?


"Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation..."

Mark 16:15

No comments: