Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Christmas Jubilee

Today was our Women's Ministries' Christmas event. We were offered two art classes, lunch, and shopping at our own bazaar afterwards. I participated by decorating the luncheon tables and selling my tassels in the bazaar. I also had time to take half of a watercolor class. I have been itching to learn from Mrs. Porter for years. Finally I had the chance, and it was a blast! I am not sure if I like the patience and forethought that is required for watercolor painting. My personality is better suited for oils. Mistakes can be covered, and I like the thicker texture of the paint. But all in all, these creative outlets served me well. I feel relaxed and refreshed, mentally, that is.

I chose a whimsical candy theme. Gumballs, gumdrops, cookies, gummy bears, candy canes, bells, ribbon, and wrapped presents were used. Our tables are huge and the event was in the gym with tall ceilings. It is hard to find anything that covers the entire table, especially on a tight budget. But once the ladies had their food and drinks on the table it was fine. I always find myself using sticks in different ways each year for heighth in the centerpieces (as well as for affordability). I've spray painted them so many different colors over the years. This year I used them to make gumdrop trees.

My tassel table was thrown together last minute.

I sold about half of my stash. I plan to use the rest as Christmas presents. I really enjoyed making these tassels! I think I have found a new hobby. This was a fun party to kick-off the season!

1 comment:

Alicia K said...

Beautiful job on the decor, wish I could have been there!