Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Up-hill battle

Last night I went out to dinner with the ladies from our community group at church. It is so nice to sit and chat comfortably with a group of ladies that are not judgemental or manipulative. I always walk away inspired with a group like this one. Last night I found my inspiration in the dedication these women have to be good stewards of their bodies. It seems I am the only one not exercising on a regular basis. So...this morning I got up and out the door by 5:45. They got me in their gym (that costs only $10/month, I might add) and I gave it a whirl. The thirty minutes of cardio has not given me extra energy yet, but it has forced me to drink the adequate amount of water that I should. (I am squatting down for the picture. I have not been the shortest person in a picture since my 6th grade family portrait. It looks funny. But aren't they cute??)

Every month I do my family inventory. And every month I see progress, God's grace, discipline, etc., in slow but steady movement, except in the area of my health habits. Next month I will be 34, and so I have one year until 35. All of my friends tell me that my metabolism will take a serious nose-dive around that time. My doctor even calls it the "pre-menopausal stage". I would love to be in tip-top shape before then. I know the only way to accomplish such a lofty goal is to get up early and go to bed early. I hate having to do that! But I am not willing to take time away from any other area, as we have found a smooth, steady routine (which requires at least 12 hours each day of my unwavering devotion!). It's so easy to start these routines, but so easy to get off track when illness or "interruptions" come along.


Day by day, I'll see what happens. This is not going to be easy! Prayer, patience, persistance-that's what I need.

3 comments:

Alicia K said...

Good for you Renee! My cardiologist and I had a long talk about my tendency to put others first, even to the detriment of my own health. It has been a wake up call for sure! I will tell you just 2 weeks into cardio rehab I am already feeling energized and once that is done I have promised Tammy I would join the gym. I will pray for your continued exercise routine.

Tiff said...

I'm 34! Jad's turning 40 in Dec!

We're doing P90X next week! Ugh!!! Check it out on youtube. I might look like Linda Hamilton from terminator, this spring...

Go at it, girl! And you're still a beauty too---that's gotta count for something, as my dear hubs jokes me!

RHB said...

I had forgotten that I am just slightly older than you. :) Are we seriously close to being premenopausal? Wasn't it just yesterday we were taking long walks around Auburn planning the rest of our lives before graduation, marriage, and kids? Your new exercise routine will also really benefit your family with a mommy who's less stressed and has more energy and stamina. You go girl!