Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The horny baby

Lydie likes to take dolls or stuffed animals everywhere. For a long time, she used a little twig basket to carry her little animals. She looked like Little Red Riding Hood with that basket always swinging from her arm. About 6 months ago she discovered her imaginary friend. She latched on to the name she gave her friend and has named every doll and stuffed animal since the same name. She takes these treasures to church, the store, preschool...and proclaims to any one who and what they are. It's pretty adorable. Except...her favorite name is HORNY.

My husband and I have a very healthy marriage. We like to kiss and hold hands and hug and talk around our kids. But I can honestly say neither of us have uttered that word in their presence! It's like she just said it, and likes the sound of it. And plus, now everyone thinks it's funny. When my brother and sister-in-law are around her, of course they try to get her to say it repeatedly. I try to play it off and say, "That sounded bad. She is saying "Homey"." But then she corrects me, "No I not. The baby's name is HORNY!" She would be our first 3 year old that says those "r" sounds perfectly. Oh, the shame.

Moral of the story: When you give your baby that first little doll, don't push her to give it a name. Baby, girl, child...it's all good.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Renee, that is hysterical! Love it!

Tiff said...

Love it! That reminds me when Daniel told the brand new sitter, "Flock" as in "birds" and it sounded just like the real F word!

Amy said...

Oh I am laughing so hard.

Jackie said...

Our first born 18-month-old would call forks "f-----". We had a hard time not getting family and friends to get her to say "fork". We'd all try to stop laughing because we really didn't want it to become a habit for her! I'm glad to say that she did eventually grow out of it!