Saturday, October 03, 2009

Casting away

"Remember to cast ALL of your cares and burdens on Him, as He is able to carry the load for you. "

My husband sent me these words recently when he was gone on a five day business trip. I knew immediately that he was referring to from Psalm 55:22. It says,

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."

But in the weary moment when I read the email I thought to myself, "How?" How do I do that? Just cast them away...? But I have to make decisions...BIG ones. I have to do things...MANY things. I have to discipline children...DAILY. I have to find energy from sleepless nights...ALONE. Why does the Bible make it sound so easy? Why doesn't it go into further detail? "

Here's another reference from I Peter 5:6-7:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
This verse paints a better picture for me when it precedes the "casting" with "humble yourselves under God's mighty hand". Maybe "casting my cares before him" really is just that simple.

First, I remember just how mighty He is. I meditate on what He has done for me, a sinner, by sending His son to achieve perfection and defeat death so that I can spend eternity enjoying something I do not deserve. I look at the world He has made and remember His power and strength and majesty. I read His Word. These actions will automatically lead to humility. He is big, I am small. I need Him desperately. I can not make it alone in this big world. I love and adore Him. I trust Him to create beauty from the ashes in my life because that is what He does.

Second, I take every concern that I have- burdens, decisions, responsibilities, sins- and I verbally surrender them to my Savior. I ask for His guidance. I wait. If I have to move forward with decisions I ask for His leading and move forward. I trust that He will not, has not, is not going to leave me. I trust Him to do what He wills- which is the best thing- in my life and the lives of my family and friends. I talk to Him more. I read His word. I enjoy His others means of grace through my Church body. I enjoy the opportunity to fellowship with Him. I grow closer to Him. I observe how he is working all around me.

Third, He is glorified in my life. I remember who He is and what He has done. The things of earth grow "strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace". I live boldly and thankfully as a result of walking with Him. I find Joy.

Fourth, another crisis comes and I start over with step 1...back at the foot of the cross again.

"Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ. "
~C. S. Lewis

2 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Amen and amen! This speaks SO MUCH truth into my life at this exact moment. Thank you!

Love you and am praying for your endurance and strength to not only survive but thrive during this time. :) If anyone can do this, you can!!

Alicia K said...

Thank you for this reminder ... these are words I needed to hear.