Wednesday, November 25, 2015

40

They say 40 is the new 30. I believed them until I woke up exactly one day after turning 40 with a back ache. I still hold out hope for my 40s because I love this stage in life. As much as I adore baby smells, toddler talk, and snaggle-toothed smiles, having teenagers and a preteen aren't bad either!  I can have really inspiring theological talks with my boys, leave my kids home alone, date my husband regularly, and spend more time with my friends.  We are all terribly close, but also involved in a lot apart from one another. And next year there will be another driver in the house!
On our way to the mystery overnight destination

We stayed in a beautiful hotel in Montgomery overlooking the Alabama River
 All this while being comfortable in my own, albeit wrinkly, skin!  I am beginning to understand how devastating expectations can be and learning to let go. I enjoy my family more than ever before because I can see their unique beauty without any fears lingering. My boys are beginning to see my as someone to confide in and we really have fun together.  The days of intense "training" are over and now they just seek advice and prayer.  It's so good.
At the Alabama Shakespeare Festival to see A Christmas Carol- fabulous!

Delicious Southern Living restaurant- City Grill
During this decade, all three of my beautiful children will become adults. My oldest boys will graduate college.  One of them might be married and even have children by the time I am 50. There is so much to look forward to!
Handsome date

 A decade ago I had just had a miscarriage and was just about to enter the harder challenge in our marriage.  But in the midst of that difficulty I found a deep, profound fellowship with Jesus that has enhanced every year since. And my marriage was shattered and rebuilt into something really wonderful.  If I could whisper to my newly 30 year old self I would say, "The next couple of months are going to be full of unbelievable sadness. But before you turn 31 you will welcome a beautiful daughter into your family and your life will be better than you could ever imagine!"
Glass of the bubbly


I'm 40. I love Jesus more every day. I have been married 19 years. I have an amazing husband that I can never get enough of. I have three children that I truly enjoy. I have made precious friends here in Birmingham. I am part of a church plant and continuing to slowly feel at home there. I live in my hometown, a dream come true for me. Our parents are still able to enjoy us and our children. I am determined to enjoy every minute! Here's to a new decade!

No comments: