Monday, December 22, 2008

3 days to go...

This picture captures about half of the 9th/10th grade girls from church. I volunteered to lead their prayer/study group in Sunday school this school year. This decision was a leap of faith for me, because I have mostly only taught kids my childrens' ages or adults. I understand women and I understand children. But I am a little rusty with middle school/high school. I am so thankful for a new perspective.

So I decided since I wasn't sure where they were spiritually, much less how to reach them, I would just listen. And hug a lot.

Now, I am finally feeling connected. I am comfortable being a little vulnerable with my personal life. And they, in turn, seem to be slowly opening up, as well. Yesterday two of them came by with flowers and a pie for us for a Christmas treat. They are so sweet!

These girls have been accepting and affectionate with me from day one. I have no idea why, but these 14 and 15 year olds seem genuinely interested in getting to know me (it may be because I am Mrs. Andy, but that's okay!). I am certainly very interested in getting to know them. And maybe our slow, steady start has been a good thing. They know that I have no hidden agendas with them. And I am reminded that while I can plant a seed, only God can cause it to take root and spring to life. I am enjoying my Sunday mornings with this little group very much.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I found myself more and more curious about "older" kids when my kids were all small. I wanted to know what to expect, what to work on, and what my own kids had to face in those sometimes difficult years. So I taught Sunday School and did AWANA council times (do you all have AWANA?) -- and it was such a blessing! I think that mother = teacher and it's just a natural extension to teach others while you're in the process of teaching your kids. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

That is sweet - and you are brave! I hesitate to get involved in our youth group because I think I would not be able to resist being "motherly" and shh-ing them too much or giving "the look" to them too often or some how or other manage to communicate my general disapproval of most middle-school behavior. :)

So I think you have a wonderful approach there, and probably exactly what they need, too. A listening ear and lots of hugs make for one good mentoring relationship.

When I was 13, I had a wonderful lady take an interest in me, and that is exactly what she did: listen and accept and love. And she is still the one I call when I I want someone to pray - because I KNOW she will.
Those are the Titus 2 relationships that we are told to cultivate - and we don't need a program in order to do it, either.

What a blessing for you and for them!