Saturday, December 06, 2008

19 days to go...

Today the Women's Ministry had our Christmas Jubilee at church. We offered various classes such as photography, watercolor, Christmas decorating, etc. Afterwards, we enjoyed lunch and a bazaar together. I was unable to attend the other classes because I volunteered to teach classes this year. I scrambled some Christmas decorating ideas, mainly focussing on mantels and centerpieces. I am not sure if anyone learned anything, but I had fun. Our lunch was catered- warm and yummy. And everything was festive and beautiful. A friend of mine shared her testimony and did a wonderful job. Other than my family, the women in our church are my favorite people with whom to share a day.

My little "welcome-to-the-decorating-class" table

I did not manage my time well this week, so I was planning for the class the night before. So I just took everything off of my dining room table to use as an example of using layers and various heights in centerpieces...

and then stripped the kitchen table decor to use as an example of using cheap things and things around the house when decorating a table. No time to reinvent the wheel! Below is my sweet friend that organized the event. I am so excited to get to know her better this year as we homeschool together!
The children enjoyed a quiet morning at home with Daddy and their new toy from St. Nic. They were so excited to open their first Christmas gift this morning! And the Christmas Jubilee was the first Christmas party of the season for me, too. Even in the hustle and bustle, I love it all!

Little bed-headed boys and their mismatched pajamas

Because I missed breakfast and lunch with my children due to the event at church, I almost forgot our advent object. I went to tuck the boys in their beds and remembered. So I ran downstairs and found a maraca and the Bible. Yes, I know, a maraca is not the best way to settle two boys down for a good night's rest. But, I came back shaking the maraca any how!


The lesson came from Mark 7:31-37. It was the story of the deaf and mute man that Jesus healed. We used the maraca to enjoy our sense of sound, and to remind us of the joy that the man must have felt to be able to hear again. I am enjoying the reminder of all of the miracles that Jesus graciously performed. The stories of Christ's life in the gospels is fresh and alive for us this season! I am looking forward to the advent object for tomorrow as much as the children.

No comments: