Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Mercy found

Jaybird and I spent the morning with an inner city ministry today. I realized when I married my husband (and saw servant hood personified) that I do not have a mercy-driven heart. I have spent many years praying that I would emulate my husband's heart- Christ's heart- in the area of mercy. Especially recently since I have noticed a trend. If parents have a heart for serving others, their children seem to as well. Also, I believe God uses even a simple task, like serving lunch, to draw His people to himself. I want to be a part of His work!

My family has always been a very close one. I grew up with an extraordinary example of generosity and tightly knit family bonds. But mostly our time and money that was used helping others did not extend beyond family. (I am speaking of what I witnessed in my own home, not with extended family like my grandparents.) And for that reason, and probably my own personality, I find it very tempting to spend my time focused on only the people under this roof. If I am praying for some one's salvation, it will mostly be my children's. If I am looking for extra time to or money to spend, I would prefer to direct it towards my husband or my own children. I can be very near-sighted.

The good thing is, God has made me more aware of my choices. One of my biggest hopes for our first year of homeschooling was to serve others regularly. We made more time for mercy ministries this year, but still not nearly enough as I would like. So this summer I have been praying and watching. It just so happens that the Lord has given us three areas just this week to be used to stretch us. Today was one. Just being in an unsafe area of town is a stretch for me. But our morning was a great experience. Along with a few other families at our church, we helped serve lunch to 60 campers. The children's manners and gratitude were such a pleasure. And the director's sweet, firm leadership style was encouraging. We exchanged a little of our time for the privilege of being the hands and feet of Christ to some needy children. And it's exciting to wonder how God was at work in the midst of us all. (Mainly, he was using the children to change me!) I hope to have more opportunities like today- especially if I can have them along side of my family.

No comments: